Thursday 1 March 2012

Antonio Banderas launches wine in Miami

Spanish actor Antonio Banderas introduced the latest vintages of his Ribera del Duero brand Anta Banderas at the South Beach Wine and Food Festival in Florida this weekend. As reported on the drinks business, before heading to the Oscars in LA on Sunday, where his film Puss in Boots was nominated for Animated Feature Film, the 51-year-old hosted a sold-out seminar, entitled “Matador!” featuring seven wines from the northern Spanish property.

"We are thrilled to welcome Antonio Banderas to the festival. It is a pleasure to unveil the wines of Anta Banderas at this very special seminar,” said Mel Dick, senior vice president of Southern Wine & Spirits, organisers of the festival. After the seminar, Banderas spent an hour at Miami wine shop Sunset Corners, where he signed bottles and discussed his love of wine.

"I always wanted to produce my own wine, but it requires time that I don’t have," Banderas told the Miami New Times. “Then I found Anta in Ribera del Duero, which boasts quality vineyards, quality grapes and the latest technology in the bodega. I travelled with my family in 2008 and we loved both the place and the team. It was a family winery, just what I was looking for. The decision was made,” Banderas added.

The winery began production in 1999 under the name Anta Bodegas, but changed its name to Anta Banderas when the Malaga-born actor joined the company in 2009. The estate comprises 95 hectares of vineyards in two separate areas, one near the winery and one at nearly 2,800 feet above sea level.

Banderas recently announced that he will portray painter Pablo Picasso and his emotional struggle while working on masterpiece mural Guernica in a new biopic. He told Spanish newspaper El Pais: “Picasso is a character that has followed me for a long time, but I’d always rejected the idea of playing him. He commands a lot of respect. I was born four blocks from his birthplace in Malaga. He’s always fascinated me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment